- Idli batter – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafetida – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Chopped onion – 2 tblsp
- Cooking oil – to deep fry
- Heat some oil in a pan to deep fry
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl add the idli batter, cumin seeds, asafetida powder, curry leaves and finely chopped onion. Mix well
- Now take a lemon sized batter at a time and drop it gently into the hot oil and repeat the same for the remaining batter.
- Flip it between and take out the punugulu from the oil once the sizzle sound off and place it over the paper towel to remove any excess oil
- The instant, fluffy and crispy “PUNUGULU” is ready to serve.
- Serve with some spicy chutney or serve as it is.
- The batter should be thick, if the consistency is thin then it will absorb more oil
- If the batter is thin, sprinkle some rice flour and adjust the consistency.