We Tamizhians have a very strong attachment towards our TAMIL language, but that alone is not enough to keep our tradition alive which is as beautiful as our language. We should know about our unique tradition and ensure we pass this on to our future generation; unfortunately, no one finds time to share this and pass this on. In this article, I am going to touch and share a mix of what I know and what I have experienced in my life about one such adorable culture called “SEER VARISAI” (சீர்வரிசை). There will be few differences in the customs followed based on certain caste/community; what I have tried to capture here are most commons ones.
SEER is exchange of presents, pleasantries and pay-return respect between relations for different occasions in life. It is such a beautiful tradition that our ancestors designed to ensure there is constant connect between relations through multiple customs & occasions over different stage of life.
SEER VARISAI is the way of bonding for a boy child or a girl child (most often), throughout his/her entire life, with his/her parents, brothers, sisters, maternal uncles and paternal aunties. There is different set of seer for different occasions in life.
I am going to break down the different set of seers across most important occasions in life of a girl or boy child; I will start with marriage and the cycle will continue: -
- Marriage – marriage has a lot of pre-and-post customs & occasions where seers are a must; here are a list of such marriage customs; click on each of them to expand and see the seer details for each of these occasions
Recent Posts under this Category
- Puberty Puberty ceremony praises the transformation of a young girl …Read More »
- Grahapravesam/ House Warming Pooja, is a traditional vedic ritual which …Read More »
- This ceremony takes place mostly in your KULA DEIVEM temple …Read More »
- Your Baby’s first Birthday Celebration is bound to be Special. …Read More »
- Ayush Homam is the fire ritual (Homam) performed on the …Read More »
- Kuzhandayai Kondu Viduthal (Handing over the newborn to the Sambandhi’s) …Read More »
- Namakarnam is the formal naming ceremony performed to select a …Read More »
- Delivery These are the basic seer and custom that …Read More »
- Valaikappu/seemantham The function organized by the elders of the home …Read More »
- Valaikappu/Seemantham The function organized by the elders of the home …Read More »
- 5th month (Marunthu kuduthal) Marunthu kuduthal is a special and …Read More »
- Post wedding we have a very special custom from the …Read More »
- Post wedding we have a specific custom called MARUVEEDU AZHAIPPU, …Read More »
- Manjal Kunkumam Sandhanam The following are the basic set of …Read More »
- Nalungu is a pre-wedding ceremony which usually starts before 5th …Read More »
- Panda kaal muhurtham is a very unique short ritual which …Read More »
- It is most important to keep Manjal, Kunkumam, Sandhanam to …Read More »