- Cashews – 2 cups
- Granulated sugar – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee/ clarified butter – 2 tsp
- finely chopped mixed nuts – 1/4 cup
- green food color – few drops
- Grind the cashews in equal batches into a fine powder; sieve the cashew powder using big whole mesh strainer and keep aside.
- In a pan add the sugar and water, bring it to boil until it reaches the 1 string consistency
- Now add the cashew powder slowly into the sugar syrup and mix well
- Within mins it will turn pasty and slowly it starts separate from pan sides, at this time add the ghee (1 tsp at a time) and cardamom powder.
- How to check that katli is ready to remove from stove?
- Apply lil ghee in between your thumb and index finger and take a lil paste from the pan and you will able to make a ball.
- Now transfer the doughy paste into the butter/ parchment paper and allow it to warm, when your hands able to handle the dough, knead well for few mins
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts, keep one part as it is and another part add lil green food color and mix well and keep aside.
- Place another parchment paper over the katli (one part at a time)and using a dough rolling pin, starts spread the katli about ½ inch thick evenly
- Now place the green color katli roll over a plastic wrap and add the finely chopped nuts in the center evenly and roll it tightly at the same time gently and keep aside.
- Now place the regular white color katli dough spread over another plastic wrap and place the green katli roll over the white katli spread and starts rolling it tightly. Refrigerate it for about 30 mins and cut it into 2 inch apart equally.
- The super delicious, rich and tasty “KAJU KATLI ROLLs” are ready to serve.
- You can add even a tblsp of milk while adding the cashew powder into the sugar syrup for more texture
- If you are not able to make a dough in the final stage, allow it to cook for few more mins, do not over cook
- Always cook under medium-low flame for any sweets.
- You can even add pista powder for inner roll, usually we will get KAJU-PISTA roll at the shops, but this is very easy to make at home.
- I actually tried this with my left over kaju katli and they came out quiet perfect.