- Moong Dhal – ¼ cup
- Wheat flour – 1 tblsp
- Dark brown sugar – ¼ cup + 2 tblsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Clarified butter/ ghee – ¼ cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Food color – orange/ lemon yellow (few drops)
- Sliced almonds/ chopped cashews – 1 tblsp
- Dry roast the moon dhal for about 2-3 mins until the nice aroma comes.
- Wash and pressure cook it with required amount of water.
- Once the pressure released, mash the dhal finely without any lumps with a masher and add the dark brown sugar along with a pinch of salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat some ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, add the wheat flour and sauté it for about 2 mins, you will see the flour changing into lil brown color.
- Now add the sliced almonds, toss it gently and add the mashed dhal and sugar mixture gently into the pan and cook it under medium- low flame.
- Add ghee when desire and stir often to avoid scorching.
- Once the ghee leaves the edges of the pan, time to check the halwa consistency.
- Turn off the flame and transfer into a clean and dry container.
- The healthy and yummy “ASHOKA HALWA with BROWN SUGAR” is ready to serve.
How to check Halwa Consistency?
Take a little from the pan and make a ball shape out of it. Once you able to make a ball, then the halwa consistency is so perfect.
- You can even use “NATTU SAKARAI” instead of dark brown sugar.
- If you are using jaggery syrup, then drain out the excess dhal water completely and the cooking time takes little long.
- Adding a pinch of salt will enhance the flavor of the halwa.