aval pori urundai – Naivedyam SPL on Karthigai Deepam
- Nel pori/ aval pori – 4 cups
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- water – 1/4 cup
- Black sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder – a generous pinch
- Roasted gram – 1 tblsp
- Grated coconut/ coconut bits – 1 tbslp
- Ghee/ clarified butter – 1 tsp
- rice flour – 2 tblsp ( for hand dusting)
- Melt the jaggery with 1/4 cup of water and filter out the impurities; boil the jaggery until you get the hard stone consistency( next to one string consistency) and turn off the flame
- Meanwhile heat a pan and add a tsp of black sesame seeds, allow it to splutter and add the roasted gram and toss it for a min or so.
- Now add the toasted sesame seeds, roasted gram, grated coconut, a tsp of ghee and a generous pinch of cardamom powder into the jaggery syrup along with 4 cups of aval pori.
- Mix well and when the aval jaggery mixture is still hot; dust palm with rice flour and make desired size of balls out of it.
- The crunchy, tasty “AVAL PORI URUNDAI” is ready for naivedyam.
- Store it in air tight container to keep the balls stay fresh and crunchy.
- The jaggery syrup consistency should be next to one string consistency;
- you can use the same method for nel pori too